The Reserve Bank of India’s decision to keep the repo rate unchanged was no surprise given the focus with which the Monetary Policy Committee has approached its mandate: of keeping inflation in check.For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- inflation (noun) – increase of price level of goods & services & vice versa decrease of currency value.
- in something’s shadow (phrase) – receive less attention.
- repo rate (noun) – it is the rate at which the central bank of a country (RBI in case of India) lends money to commercial banks in the event of any shortfall of funds.
- keep something in check (phrase) – to keep under control; curb/restrain, hold back.
- exemplify (verb) – illustrate, demonstrate, instance.
- hitherto (adverb) – previously, earlier, so/thus far.
- dovish (adjective) – peaceful, diplomatic, accommodating. (Hawkish means aggressive, combative, belligerent).
- stand pat (noun) – an act of sticking to one’s opinion/decision firmly.
- head off (phrasal verb) – prevent, avoid/stop, divert/turn aside.
- incipient (adjective) – initial, developing, growing.
- lay out (phrasal verb) – outline, draw up, formulate.
- moderation (noun) – reduction, diminishing/lessening, decrease.
- headline inflation (noun) – it is a measure of the total inflation within an economy, including commodities such as food and energy prices (e.g., oil and gas).
- time horizon (noun) – the length of time estimated over which a plan/project to be completed (or) an investment to be made.
- staggered (adjective) – unsteady, volatile, changing.
- cloud (verb) – confuse, muddle; spoil/destroy (something).
- outlook (noun) – prospects, hope, expectations.
- fiscal slippage (noun) – the missing fiscal targets in the country’s budget.
- fan (verb) – increase, intensify, stimulate.
- spell (verb) – lead to, result in, cause.
- decisive (adjective) – resolute, firm, determined.
- flight (of capital) (noun) – the selling of shares by many investors (in a country as they feel the market condition is not that good).
- upshot (noun) – result, consequence, outcome/effect.
- hover (verb) – remain at a specific level.
- looming (adjective) – threatening, menacing; emerging, appearing (as a visible thread).
- unwavering (adjective) – steady, fixed, resolute/firm.
- vigilance (noun) – careful observation, surveillance, attentiveness.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.