Results of Assembly elections in Tripura, Meghalaya and Nagaland, coming after the results in the 2016 Assam elections, and alongside the….. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Advanced Word List 1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- lurch (noun) – a sudden uncontrolled movement.
- ascendance (noun) – ascendency, influence/control, dominance.
- give rise to (phrase) – produce, bring about, cause.
- deplore (verb) – regret/hate, find unacceptable.
- extant (adjective) – still existing, surviving, present.
- incumbent (adjective) – current, existing, present.
- eclipse (verb) – outshine, overshadow, surpass.
- underlying (adjective) – fundamental, basic, essential.
- myopic (adjective) – lacking foresight, small-minded, short-term.
- ream (noun) – a large/fair amount of something (writing).
- hackneyed (adjective) – overused, clichéd, common/ordinary.
- trot out (phrasal verb) – recite, repeat, reiterate/restate.
- anti-incumbency (noun) – a situation which is against elected officials currently in power; discontent against ruling government/ party in power.
- votary (noun) – follower, supporter, upholder.
- assertive (adjective) – confident, positive, bold/decisive.
- innate (adjective) – inherent, natural, inborn.
- mundane (adjective) – usual, common, ordinary.
- wilt (verb) – lose energy, feel faint, diminish/weaken.
- case in point (phrase) – example, instance, case.
- status quoist (noun) – the present situation, the current state, the existing state of affairs. A supporter of the status quo is called as status quoist.
- conviction politician (noun) – a politician practices and campaigns on his/her party’s principle and adherence to his/her party’s ideology rather than trying to address existing conditions/problems.
- ethos (noun) – principles, beliefs, attitudes/ethics.
- participatory politics (noun) – it converges around a type of political action that is “peer-based, interactive, non-hierarchical, and collective”.
- mesmeric (adjective) – fascinating, compelling, irresistible.
- alchemy (noun) – magic, witchcraft, enchantment; ancient practice of trying to change ordinary metals into gold.
- psychometrics (plural noun) – measuring mental capacities and processes.
- discernible (adjective) – distinguishable, visible, detectable.
- post-truth (adjective) – relating to or belonging to a time in which facts matter less than beliefs and emotions (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- entrenched (adjective) – ingrained, established, embedded.
- exemplify (verb) – illustrate, demonstrate, represent/symbolise.
- the writing (is) on the wall (phrase) – sign/indication, forecast, threat.
- the winds of change blow (phrase) – “When the wind of change blows, some people build walls, others build windmills” is a chinese proverb. It means that “change” can cause people to become afraid & anxious.
- pragmatic (adjective) – empirical, realistic/actual, practical.
- apparatchik (noun) – an official, member (of a large political organisation, particularly of a Communist Party).
- onslaught (noun) – assault, attack, salvo.
- bound to (adjective) – certain/sure, very likely, guaranteed.
- relic (noun) – an outmoded thing which is survived from ancient days.
- wither away (phrasal verb) – diminish, dwindle, weaken/lessen; cease to exist.
- decimate (verb) – eliminate, remove; to severely damage or destroy a large part of (something).
- jettison (verb) – discard, throw out, abandon.
- shibboleth (noun) – tradition, practice, procedure.
- trample upon (phrasal verb) – treat with contempt, disregard, treat disrespectfully.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.