The Olympics has a global allure and the Asian Games basks in its continental spread. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s Word List-2
- hue (noun) – character, aspect, appearance.
- allure (noun) – attraction, glamour, temptation.
- bask in (phrasal verb – revel in, take pleasure, rejoice.
- continental (adjective) – belonging to a continent.
- unflattering (adjective) – unfavourable, unattractive, critical.
- vestige (noun) – indication, sign, trace/mark.
- relevance (noun) – the quality of being relevant/closely connected/appropriate.
- stepping stone (noun) – an event which helps a person to make progress in order to achieve his/her ultimate ambition.
- underline (verb) – emphasize, highlight, focus.
- fortnight (noun) – a period of two weeks.
- splendid (adjective) – excellent, marvellous, superb.
- clinch (verb) – win, achieve success in, triumph.
- unprecedented (adjective) – not done or experienced before.
- sweep (noun) – an instance of winning every place/contest.
- take a beating (phrase) – suffer damage/hurt.
- pack (someone) off (phrasal verb) – send off, dispatch, dismiss.
- no needle policy (noun) – Needles must not be used at the Games as part of the fight against doping. Athletes must have a specific medical exemption to have needles for treatment of injury, illness or other medical conditions.
- aberration (noun) – discrepancy, deviation/departure, mistake.
- unaddressed (adjective) – unnoticed, not considered, concealed.
- over-optimistic (adjective) – unrealistic, naive, foolish/absurd.
- haul (noun) – the number of medals a person won in a sport/game over a period.
- hold a mirror up to (phrase) – (figurative meaning) examine (the nature of something more closely).
- reflection (noun) – indication, display, proof/evidence.
Today’s Word List-2
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.