The Centre has moved swiftly to notify the presidential order setting up the Fifteenth Finance Commission, within five days of the Cabinet’s approval. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- swiftly (adverb) – quickly, rapidly, fast.
- fiscal (adjective) – financial, trade; revenue.
- expeditious (adjective) – speedy, swift, quick/fast-track.
- stakeholder (noun) – a person with an interest in something.
- deliberation (noun) – thought, thinking, careful consideration.
- one-size-fits-all (adjective) – suitable for/used in all circumstances.
- disdain (noun) – contempt, disrespect/dishonour, indifference.
- pinch (verb) – hurt, pain, cause discomfort.
- devolution (noun) – decentralization, delegation, distribution.
- factor in (phrasal verb) – include something as a relevant to make a decision.
- imperative (noun) – necessary condition, essential, requirement.
- rollback (noun) – the process of restoring/revising/updating a database.
- top brass (noun) – people in authority.
- assert (verb) – state, proclaim, declare/announce.
- in the face of (phrase) – despite/in spite of, notwithstanding, regardless of.
- flak (noun) – criticism, censure, disapproval.
- rollout (noun) – official launch/introduction.
- fiscal nudge (noun) – fiscal stimulus; Government measures, normally involving increased public spending and lower taxation, aimed at giving a positive jolt to economic activity.
- lie in (verb) – remain in a particular state.
- incur (verb) – attract, experience, be subject to.
- populist (adjective) – related to politicians who claim that they are representing the common/ordinary people.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.