This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-2 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- on the brink of (phrase) – on the edge/verge of difficult/dangerous situation; at a crucial or critical point.
- famine (noun) – food shortages; poverty, drought/paucity.
- ceasefire (noun) – truce; a temporary stoppage of a war.
- humanitarian tragedy (noun) – humanitarian disaster/crisis; it is defined as a singular event or a series of events that are threatening in terms of health, safety or well being of a community or large group of people. It may be an internal or external conflict and usually occurs throughout a large land area.
- outbreak (noun) – outburst, epidemic, sudden appearance/occurrence.
- crumbling (adjective) – disintegrating, falling down, collapsing/decaying.
- bombardment (noun) – bombing, shelling (continuous attack).
- breeding ground (noun) – a place/situation/condition for the development/rising of something.
- plunge into (verb) – fall, tumble, plummet (suddenly).
- chaos (noun) – disorder, disruption, confusion.
- wary (adjective) – cautious, careful, circumspect/sceptical.
- militia (noun) – armed forces, military unit, soldiery (from the civil population to support main forces).
- drag on (verb) – persist, continue, extend (unnecessarily).
- desperate (adjective) – urgently requiring, craving, wanting.
- blockade (noun) – disruption of the economic activities (e.g: supply of essential goods and others) of an area.
- in the midst of (phrase) – in the middle of.
- rage (verb) – continue intensely & uncontrollably.
- it is high time (phrase) – relating to something urgent and it should have happened or been done earlier.
- populace (noun) – population, inhabitants, people/public.
- faction (noun) – a small group, section, division (of dissenter within a large group).
- look away (phrasal verb) – avert/avoid/turn gaze away from someone/something.
- cease (verb) – stop, terminate, bring to an end.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.