The National Crime Records Bureau data for 2016 on two important aspects, violent crime and crime against women, should prompt State governments to make a serious study of the underlying causes. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- prompt (verb) – bring about, cause, urge (to take a course of action).
- underlying (adjective) – fundamental, basic, essential.
- abduction (noun) – kidnapping, hostage-taking.
- distinct (adjective) – clear, well defined, marked.
- perspective (noun) – outlook, viewpoint/standpoint, vantage point.
- prevailing (adjective) – existing, present, prevalent.
- influence (verb) – affect, have an effect on, prompt.
- heinous (adjective) – wicked, horrible, terrible.
- broaden (verb) – widen, expand, enlarge/spread out.
- universalise (verb) – spread, propagate, generalize.
- juvenile (adjective) – young, teenage, underage.
- uphold (verb) – confirm/support, endorse, validate.
- letter and spirit (phrase) – adhering to /obeying both literal interpretation/wording and the spirit/intent/purpose of the law.
- superintendence (noun) – an act process of supervise, manage, govern something.
- transparent (adjective) – straightforward, frank/open, forthright.
- impunity (noun) – immunity, indemnity, exemption from punishment.
- mandatory (noun) – obligatory, compulsory, binding.
- cognisable (adjective) – perceptible; clearly identifiable.
- passively (adverb) – submissively, unassertively, unresistingly/unassumingly.
- measure (noun) – action, course of action,proceeding/procedure.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.