This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- deadlock (noun) – stalemate, impasse, stand-off.
- sink (verb) – ignore, disregard/forget, set/put aside.
- tripartite (adjective) – involving three parties.
- elusive (adjective) – difficult to catch/find; slippery.
- a host (of) (noun) – lot, large number, great quantity.
- spar (verb) – quarrel, argue, have a fight.
- on the same page (phrase) – in agreement.
- on the ground (phrase) – in a situation/place where things are happening really/practically.
- fluid (adjective) – fluctuating, changeable, inconstant.
- on the run (phrase) – running away, fleeing, in flight/fugitive.
- misappropriation (noun) – embezzlement, expropriation, theft.
- proclaimed (adjective) – announced, declared, trumpeted.
- prop up (phrasal verb) – support, assist, stimulate.
- faction (noun) – a small group, section, division (of dissenter within a large group).
- chart (out) (verb) – follow, outline, describe/detail.
- flush (noun) – a fresh growth of (crop).
- prevail (verb) – exist, be present, be widespread/rampant.
- set in (phrasal verb) – begin, start, arrive (something unpleasant).
- trickle (back) (verb) – go slowly or gradually.
- far from (phrase) – not, not at all, no way near.
- revive (verb) – revitalize, restore, bring back.
- stir (noun) – commotion, turmoil, uproar/disturbance.
- retract (verb) – take back, withdraw, disown/disavow.
- conciliatory (adjective) – propitiatory, appeasing, pacifying/peacemaking.
- stakeholder (noun) – a person with an interest in something.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.