This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- acquit (verb) – discharge, release, declare innocent.
- indictment (noun) – charge, accusation, allegation/citation.
- shoddy (adjective) – poor-quality/inferior, careless, improper.
- probity (noun) – integrity, honesty/decency, truthfulness.
- “planted” witness (noun) – “inserted” witness; the categorization of a witness where the witness gets some benefit from the litigation.
- clinching (adjective) – decisive/conclusive, final, key.
- see-saw (adjective) – a condition/situation which is changing rapidly & repeatedly.
- dress up (phrasal verb) – present, portray, depict.
- lie (verb) – be, remain, or be kept in a state.
- in tatters (phrase) – destroyed; ruined; in disorder.
- illustrative (adjective) – explanatory, as an example, elucidatory.
- gulf (noun) – separation, difference, contrast/gap.
- perception (noun) – understanding, realization/awareness.
- lamentably (adverb) – badly, terribly, awfully.
- exemplify (verb) – typify, epitomise, demonstrate/symbolise.
- speculative (adjective) – theoretical, hypothetical, based on guesswork.
- frenzy (noun) – hysteria, madness, mania/wild behaviour.
- (be) torn (verb) – torment, torture, harrow/afflict.
- fast asleep (noun) – in a state sleep.
- credulity (noun) – naivety, innocence, simpleness.
- cogent (adjective) – valid, effective; logical/clear.
- suspicion (noun) – doubt, trace/hint, scepticism.
- botch (up) (verb) – mismanage, mishandle, do (a task) badly or carelessly.
- implicate (verb) – indicate, imply/hint, indicate.
- typographical error (adjective) – typo, misprint; it is a mistake made in the typing process (such as a spelling mistake) of printed material.
- pursue (verb) – continue to investigate, scrutinize, analyse (an idea or argument).
- appellate (adjective) – (of a court) dealing with cases on appeal to review the decision of a lower court.
- of sorts (phrase) – similar to/in a way, somewhat unusual.
- bring home (phrase) – focus attention to; underline, highlight.
- exonerate (verb) – release, discharge, relieve/free.
- vindicate (verb) – justify, confirm, support.
- nail (verb) – catch/capture, apprehend, arrest (someone, especially a suspected criminal)
- hold (someone) to account (phrase) – to require a person to explain or to accept responsibility for his or her actions; to blame or punish someone for what has occurred.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.