Having converted a routine biennial Rajya Sabha election in Gujarat into a prestige issue, the Bharatiya Janata Party has created the perception that it lost a high-stakes battle.. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- unseemly (adjective) – improper, inappropriate, undignified.
- biennial (adjective) – taking place/happening every two years.
- high-stakes (adjective) – high-risk, dangerous.
- covet (verb) – desire, crave, long for.
- lure (verb) – tempt, persuade, attract/induce.
- bank on (phrasal verb) – rely on, depend on; anticipate.
- amidst (preposition) – amid, in the middle of; during.
- precedent (noun) – model, example, previous case.
- whereas (conjunction) – in comparison with.
- statutory (adjective) – mandatory, necessary, essential.
- plenary (adjective) – unconditional, unlimited, unrestricted.
- segregate (verb) – separate, set apart, keep apart.
- legitimacy (noun) – validity, justification, reasonableness.
- constitute (verb) – comprise, represent, embody/compose.
- run-up to (noun) – a period/time before an important event.
- poach (verb) – steal, take, acquire (in an unfair way).
- lent (past participle of lend) (verb) – add, give, provide.
- compound (verb) – heighten, intensify, increase.
- vitality (noun) – liveliness, spiritedness, energy.
- pursuit (noun) – aspiration for, quest for, search for.
- supremacy (noun) – authority, mastery, power, sovereignty.
- boomerang (verb) – backfire, recoil, come back,; when something boomerangs, the result is the exact opposite of what you wanted it to be.
Click each one en.oxforddictionaries.com/…ition/foremostof the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.