The Swachh Bharat Mission is a high-profile national programme enjoying extraordinary political and budgetary support. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- sanitation (noun) – it generally refers to the provision of facilities and services for the safe disposal of human urine and faeces (Courtesy: WHO).
- put up (phrasal verb) – build, construct, set up.
- fare (verb) – happen, turn out, progress/develop.
- lapse into (verb) – deteriorate, decline, fail.
- disuse (noun) – non-use, lack of use; neglect.
- wipe out (phrasal verb) – destroy, annihilate, eradicate.
- deficit (noun) – shortfall, deficiency, shortage.
- substantial (adjective) – sizeable/significant, large, ample.
- persuade (verb) – convince, influence, induce/prevail on.
- elusive (adjective) – difficult to find/define/understand.
- comprehensive (adjective) – wide-ranging/all-inclusive, complete, exhaustive.
- affluent (adjective) – wealthy, rich, well to do.
- segregation (noun) – separation, setting apart, sorting out.
- compost (verb) – treat (soil) with organic material used as a fertilizer like organic matter/vegetable waste.
- landfill (noun) – excavated pit made to dispose waste material.
- pernicious (adjective) – harmful, damaging, destructive.
- societal (adjective) – related to society.
Click each one en.oxforddictionaries.com/…ition/foremostof the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.