Two months after the India-Afghanistan air corridor was inaugurated with great expectations, news that it has been hit by a shortage of cargo planes is a cause for concern. .. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- castles in the air (or in Spain) (phrase) – daydreams; any plan, desire, or idea that is unlikely to be realized.
- obstructionist (adjective) – relating to the practice of purposefully delaying legal procedures.
- underwrite (verb) – sponsor, support/back, insure.
- tarmac (noun) – a runway; a type of road surfacing material; it refers airport runway here.
- perishable (adjective) – relating things, especially foods, likely to decay quickly.
- produce (noun) – agricultural products, foodstuffs.
- chartered (adjective) – rented/hired (aircraft or ship).
- teething troubles (phrase) – short-term/temporary problems while starting a new project.
- trilateral (adjective) – involving three nations/parties/groups.
- ratify (verb) – give consent (to agreement) or make agreement official; authorize, approve.
- tender (verb) – offer, present, propose/support.
- circumvent (verb) – bypass, avoid, dodge.
- heartening (adjective) – encouraging, boosting, reassuring.
- aground (adverb/adjective) – foundered, grounded, stuck/wrecked.
Click each one en.oxforddictionaries.com/…ition/foremostof the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.