Hassan Rouhani has formally begun his second term as Iran’s President in especially challenging circumstances. Conservatives at home are pushing for a hard-line agenda, . For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- daunting (adjective) – intimidating, challenging, disconcerting/ unsettling.
- conservative (adjective) – traditionalist, conventional, orthodox/old-fashioned.
- hardline (adjective) – uncompromising, strict/tough, inflexible.
- consolidate (verb) – strengthen, secure, reinforce/fortify.
- turn up (phrasal verb) – increase, raise, amplify/intensify.
- heat (noun) – intensive pressure.
- clerical (adjective) – ecclesiastical, religious, spiritual.
- status quo (noun) – the present situation, the current state, the existing state of affairs.
- override (verb) – disallow, overrule, overthrow.
- pragmatic (adjective) – empirical, realistic/actual, practical.
- overcome (verb) – deal with, master, overwhelm.
- brinkmanship (noun) – the art/practice of following a dangerous system to the limit of safety, especially in politics, to get expected results.
- antagonize (verb) – annoy, provoke, irritate.
- sanctions (noun) – action taken, or an order given to force a country to obey international laws by limiting or stopping trade with that country, by not allowing economic aid for that country, etc (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- vindicate (verb) – justify, confirm, support.
- reciprocate (verb) – do the same, return/give back; equal.
- tenor (noun) – the general meaning, content, character of something.
- hardliners (noun) – a group/a political party with people who support a strict ideas and they are extreme & uncompromising.
- come around (phrasal verb) – recover, revive, wake up.
- pursue (verb) – undertake, prosecute, follow.
- succumb (verb) – yield, give in, submit/surrender.
- provocation (noun) – incitement, prompting, inducement.
- live up to (phrasal verb) – satisfy, fulfil, achieve.
Click each one en.oxforddictionaries.com/…ition/foremostof the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.