The National Food Security Act, 2013, has met with prolonged political indifference, but there is some hope now since the Centre has been asked by the Supreme Court to ensure that States implement key aspects of the progressive law. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- prolonged (adjective) – continuous, ongoing, persistent.
- indifference (noun) – lack of concern/interest, apathy, disregard, carelessness.
- underscore (verb) – call attention to, emphasize, highlight.
- grievance (noun) – complaint, criticism, objection/protest.
- redress (verb) – remedy, compensation, reparation/restitution.
- heed (verb) – pay attention to, notice, listen to.
- invoke (verb) – evoke, induce, cause.
- political will (noun) – political intention/desire (to complete a scheme/project even if it is not admired/welcomed in the beginning).
- egalitarian (adjective) – common, equal; fair.
- merit (noun) – strong point, advantage, benefit.
- ceiling (noun) – upper limit, cap, maximum.
- distress (noun) – difficulty, hardship, adversity.
- intervention (noun) – the action of intervening.
Click each one en.oxforddictionaries.com/…ition/foremostof the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.