As Vice-President, M. Venkaiah Naidu brings to the office his long years of experience as Parliamentary Affairs Minister, built on an amiable personality that has won him friends cutting across party divides. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- tact (noun) – sensitivity, wisdom, skill.
- apolitical (adjective) – not interested/involved in politics.
- temperament (noun) – disposition, nature, character, personality.
- amiable (adjective) – friendly, good-natured, nice.
- non-starter (noun) – failure, fiasco, debacle.
- face-off (noun) – conflict, contest, fight.
- room (noun) – opportunity, scope, chance.
- ceremonial (adjective) – formal, official, public.
- akin (adjective) – similar, related, equivalent.
- fuss (noun) – inconvenience, effort, difficulty/trouble.
- zero in (phrasal verb) – focus on, concentrate on, highlight.
- foray (noun) – a brief attempt to get involved in a new activity/sphere.
- go-to (adjective) – mentioning a person who may be depended on in a particular situation.
- relish (verb) – enjoy, take pleasure in, rejoice/savour.
- ambitious (adjective) – determined/demanding, formidable, challenging.
- portfolio (noun) – the position/duties of a minister/secretary of state.
- relinquish (verb) – leave, resign from, give up.
Click each one en.oxforddictionaries.com/…ition/foremostof the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.