India’s elementary education system may be getting better at providing access to greater numbers of children, but has never really been able to answer the question, what is the measure of its success? For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- skill (verb) – train, educate, teach.
- detain (verb) – hold up, keep back, slow down.
- scrap (verb) – abandon, cancel, abolish (a plan/policy).
- contend (verb) – compete, grapple with, deal with.
- bulwark (noun) – protector, guard, supporter.
- trifle (with) (verb) – treat casually.
- fraught with (adjective) – full of, filled with, charged with/loaded with
- regime (noun) – system, arrangement, scheme.
- notorious (adjective) – infamous, ill-famed, well known (for something bad).
- facilitate (verb) – enable, assist, help.
- guise (noun) – external appearance, false display, posture.
- cater (verb) – service, accommodate, provide for.
- stigmatise (adjective) – discredit, dishonour, disparage.
- progressive (adjective) – modern, forward-thinking, new/innovative.
- avenue (noun) – way, path, direction.
- relegate (verb) – downgrade/lower; degrade, declass.
- attainments (noun) – achievement, accomplishment, realization.
- vocational (adjective) – (of education or training) skills needed for a particular job.
- onus (noun) – responsibility, duty, burden.
- underprivileged (adjective) – poor, destitute, penurious.
- citizenry (noun) – all the people/citizens (of a place/country considered as a whole).
Click each one en.oxforddictionaries.com/…ition/foremostof the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.