This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- strike down (phrasal verb) – abolish, annul, nullify (a law or regulation).
- earmark (verb) – designate, assign, reserve.
- lay down (phrasal verb) – formulate, stipulate, frame.
- assent (noun) – approval, consent, endorsement.
- executive order (noun) – an order issued by the central/state government. It is not an ordinance which has got approval of the parliament and promulgated by the president.
- shoulder (verb) – undertake, accept, take on.
- ought to (modal verb) – must, should.
- imminent (adjective) – impending, in the offing, about to happen.
- master (verb) – learn, grasp/acquire, understand.
- apprehension (noun) – worry, concern, disquiet/unease.
- insurmountable (adjective) – unconquerable, unassailable, unbeatable.
- underprivileged (adjective) – poor, destitute, penurious.
- so too (phrase) – more of the same.
- draw up (phrasal verb) – formulate, prepare/create, draft.
- rampant (adjective) – uncontrolled, unrestrained, widespread.
- disparity (noun) – difference, dissimilarity; divergence.
- virtue (noun) – advantage, benefit, usefulness.
- thrust (noun) – force, push, pressure.
- leeway (noun) – freedom, liberty, licence/elbow room.
- exploitation (noun) – misuse, unfair treatment, taking advantage.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.