Ever since the Mahagathbandhan (grand alliance) of the Janata Dal (United), the Rashtriya Janata Dal and the Congress defeated an ascendant Bharatiya Janata Party in the Bihar elections of 2015,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- waiting game (noun) – a tactic plan in which a person stops acting directly for a while in order to (re)act efficiently at a later stage.
- ascendant (adjective) – rising in power, flourishing, prospering.
- coalesce (verb) – combine, merge/unite, come together.
- setback (noun) – problem, difficulty, issue.
- one-off (adjective) – distinctive, individual, especial(made/done only once).
- goodwill (noun) – reputation, name, status.
- nonetheless (adverb) – in spite of that, however, despite that.
- castigate (verb) – criticize, censure, reprimand/rebuke.
- come up with (phrasal verb) – propose, put forward, present/introduce.
- coherent (adjective) – logical, reasonable, rational.
- put forth (phrasal verb) – suggest, propose, put forward/introduce.
- counter (verb) – answer, respond to, act in opposition to.
- consensus (noun) – an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group. agreement, concurrence.
- proactive (adjective) – refer to someone acting in advance rather than awaiting something to happen.
- contour (noun) – outline, shape, form.
- discourse (noun) – debate, argument, discussion.
- ally with (verb) – unite, join, combine/collaborate.
- part ways with (phrase) – leave, end, terminate a relationship.
- make up (phrasal verb) – comprise, form, constitute.
- forge (verb) – build, construct, create.
- irregularity (noun) – (usually irregularities); impropriety, incorrectness, wrongdoing.
- flutter (noun) – agitation, oscillation, tremor.
- relevance (noun) – the quality of being relevant/suitable.
- bid (noun) – attempt, effort, endeavour/try.
- stock (noun) – reputation, standing/position, status.
- at the expense of (phrase) – sacrifice, loss, neglect of.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.