The imprisonment of Justice C.S. Karnan, who recently retired as a judge of the Calcutta High Court, for contempt is the culmination…. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- culmination (noun) – climax, peak, pinnacle.
- unsubstantiated (adjective) – unconfirmed, unsupported, uncorroborated.
- hallowed (adjective) – holy, sacred; revered/worshipped.
- portal (noun) – gateway, entrance, opening.
- pragmatic (adjective) – empirical, realistic/actual, practical.
- under a dark cloud (phrase) – disgraced, discredited, shamed.
- strip of (verb) – deprive, confiscate/divest, relieve (from power/rank).
- impeachment (noun) – the act of charging (a public official) with a crime done while in office (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- disdainful (adjective) – contemptuous, scornful, full of contempt.
- reinforce (verb) – strengthen, fortify, bolster up.
- waywardness (noun) – stubbornness, wilfulness, wildness.
- disregard (verb) – ignore, dismiss, set aside.
- introspection (noun) – self-observation, brooding, self-analysis; contemplation.
- ill-suited (adjective) – inappropriate, unsuitable.
- inadequacy (noun) – insufficiency, deficiency, scarcity.
- Collegium system (noun) – The collegium system is the one in which the Chief Justice of India and a forum of four senior most judges of the Supreme Court recommend appointments & transfers of judges. There is no mention of the collegium in the Constitution of India.
- recalcitrant (adjective) – uncooperative, non-compliant, confrontational.
- glaring (adjective) – obvious, blatant, flagrant.
- lacuna (noun) – a gap/empty space; missing part of something.
- long-winded (adjective) – lengthy, long, overlong/prolonged.
- cumbersome (adjective) – complicated, complex; awkward/hard to deal with.
- wits (noun) – intelligence, astuteness, cleverness.
- refractory (adjective) – obstinate, stubborn, contrary, recalcitrant.
- self-restraint (noun) – self-control, restraint, control.
- chasten (verb) – subdue, humble, flatten.
- remission (noun) – cancellation, setting aside, suspension, revocation.
- grudge (verb) – feel resentful, envy, be angry about.
- play to the gallery (idiom) – instead of doing his/her job, is keen on winning popularity. (Courtesy: The Hindu).
- martyr (noun) – a person who displays that he is suffering from/in distress in order to obtain sympathy.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.