Permanent laws cannot be made in response to transient trends, especially to create a power that is open to abuse. The Election Commission of… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- alarming (adjective) – worrying, disturbing, troubling.
- transient (adjective) – transitory, temporary, short-lived.
- unwarranted (adjective) – indefensible, inexcusable, unapproved.
- strident (adjective) –(of opinions/comments) harsh, rough/loud, unpleasant.
- partisan (adjective) – biased, prejudiced, one-sided.
- vest in (verb) – come into the possession of.
- relic (noun) – historical/ancient object, antique; remains.
- bygone (adjective) – past, former/earlier, gone by.
- sparingly (adverb) – in small quantities; barely, economically, meagrely.
- impartiality (noun) – fairness; treating all people and groups equally.
- be clothed with (verb) – provide, furnish, endow (a particular quality).
- travesty (noun) – misrepresentation, distortion, perversion.
- pertain to (verb) – concern, relate to, be connected with.
- scandalise (verb) – shock, horrify, disgust/repel.
- subjective (adjective) – personal, irrational, individual.
- provision (noun) – term, clause, requirement.
- curtail (verb) – reduce, decrease; restrict.
- marked (adjective) – noticeable, pronounced, clear/distinct.
- superintendence (noun) – an act process of supervise, manage, govern something.
- undermine (verb) – subvert, weaken/reduce, compromise.
- tendentious (adjective) – contentious, disputed, debatable/arguable.
- calumnious (adjective) – relating to defamation of character, character assassination, misrepresentation.
- run down (phrasal verb) – criticize, belittle,, find fault with.
- scepticism (noun) – doubt, doubtfulness, lack of conviction.
- Voter-verifiable paper audit trail (VVPAT) – it is a method of providing feedback to voters using a ballot-less voting system. it consists of physical paper records of voter ballots as voters have cast them on an electronic voting system.
- invulnerable (adjective) – unattackable, strong, safe.
- throttle (verb) – suppress, inhibit, stifle/control.
- cut off (phrasal verb) – block, prevent, interrupt.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.