The revision of antibiotics classes by the World Health Organisation in its list of essential medicines is a welcome step in the global initiative to… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- push back (against) (phrasal verb) – oppose, resist, prevent.
- potent (adjective) – powerful, strong, effective.
- frontier (noun) – limit, boundary, border/side/edge.
- foresee (verb) – anticipate, predict, expect.
- mitigate (verb) – alleviate, reduce, lessen.
- realm (noun) – domain, sphere, area.
- stewardship (noun) – it is a set of principles that forms the responsible planning and management of resources. Stewardship can be applied to the environment and nature, health, technology, economics and etc.
- deploy (verb) – use, utilize, employ.
- as a last resort (phrase) – a final course of action when all else has failed.
- underscore (verb) – emphasize, highlight, underline.
- framework (noun) – scheme, system, organization.
- sensitise (verb) – make sensitive, responsive to, reactive to.
- enlightened (adjective) – wise, well-informed, modern.
- sanitation (noun) – it generally refers to the provision of facilities and services for the safe disposal of human urine and faeces (Courtesy: WHO)
- meningitis (noun) – a serious disease in which the protective membranes (meninges) covering the brain and spinal cord infected with most common symptoms like fever, headache, and neck stiffness.
- quest (noun) – search, hunt, pursuit.
- scrupulous (adjective) – careful, meticulous, thorough/diligent.
- adherence (noun) – commitment, attachment, devotion/bonding.
- asymmetry (noun) – non-uniformity, unevenness, lack of equality.
- affluent (adjective) – wealthy, rich, well to do.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.