India’s decision to approach the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to stall the possible execution of Kulbhushan Sudhir Jadhav in Pakistan is an unusual move impelled by the peculiar circumstances of the former naval officer’s case. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- adherence (noun) – attachment, commitment, devotion/bonding.
- proceedings (noun) – (legal case/suit) activities, affairs, happenings.
- stall (verb) – stop, obstruct, impede/thwart.
- impel (verb) – force, compel/pressurize, spur.
- bogus (adjective) – fake, false, fraudulent.
- imminent (adjective) – impending, about to happen, near/close.
- hinge on (verb) – be dependent, be contingent, be based.
- conviction (noun) – declaration of guilt, sentence, judgement.
- espionage (noun) – spying, undercover work, infiltration.
- mercy (noun) – forgiveness, humanity, leniency.
- contention (noun) – disagreement, dispute, argument/allegation.
- egregious (adjective) – extremely bad; shocking.
- consular (adjective) – relating to the consul or consulate in a foreign city.
- appellate (adjective) – (of a court) dealing with cases on appeal to review the decision of a lower court.
- institute (verb) – start, begin, initiate (legal proceedings).
- substantive (adjective) – important & meaningful.
- adjudication (noun) – judgement, decision, verdict.
- on the face of it (phrase) – apparently, seemingly, evidently.
- incongruous (adjective) – inappropriate, unsuitable; contrasting.
- in the light of (phrase) – taking into consideration/account, in view of.
- bilateral (adjective) – involving two groups or countries.
- reciprocal (adjective) – (of an agreement) mutual, common, joint/correlative.
- detention (noun) – custody, arrest, captivity/confinement.
- iteration (noun) – repetition/reiteration (of something again and again).
- precipitate (verb) – expedite, advance, accelerate.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.