When elections draw near, rivalries within parties intensify. As Karnataka prepares for next year’s Assembly poll, front-line leaders of the two principal contenders for power,…. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- hinge on (verb) – be dependent, be contingent, be based.
- factionalism (noun) – it refers to conflict and infighting between small groups (factions) within a larger one, especially in politics.
- extricate (verb) – free, release, get out/detach.
- tangle (noun) – muddle, mix-up, complicated state.
- strike a chord (phrase) – cause/arouse someone to feel emotion/sympathy.
- break away (phrasal verb) – leave, split with, separate from.
- jettison (verb)- discard, throw out, abandon.
- second fiddle (noun) – subordinate or less important role.
- defiant (adjective) – uncooperative/non-compliant, confrontational, challenging.
- conciliatory (adjective) – propitiatory, appeasing, pacifying/peacemaking.
- fissure (noun) – rift, split; disagreement.
- apolitical (adjective) – not interested/involved in politics.
- marauding (adjective) – to go around (or roam about) to attack people/steal things.
- stand up to (phrasal verb) – defy, challenge, oppose openly.
- hierarchy (noun) – ranking, grading; class system.
- pull one’s weight (phrase) – do one’s reasonable (good enough) share of work.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.