Torrid summers, when the mercury soars 4°C to 6°C above the average and produces heatwaves in several States between April and June, may become more frequent in coming years. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- cope (verb) – manage, deal with, handle.
- heatwave (noun) – (a long period of) hot weather, hotness, humidity.
- torrid (adjective) – hot, sweltering, scorching.
- heat stress (noun) – heat stress occurs when our body is unable to cool itself enough to maintain a healthy temperature (due temperatures over 90 degrees, sun exposure, or high humidity).
- sweep (verb) – move swiftly and smoothly.
- consensus (noun) – an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group. agreement, concurrence.
- greenhouse gas (noun) – heat trapping gas; a gas (such as water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, etc) in the atmosphere that absorbs and emits radiation, causing greenhouse effect and warming of Earth’s temperature (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- evolve (verb) – develop, progress, advance.
- crippling (adjective) – weakening, destroying, spoiling.
- dehydration (noun) – the loss of too much water in the body.
- Heat cramps (noun) – a type of heat illness, are muscle spasms that result from loss of large amount of salt and water through exercise (Courtesy: Wikipedia).
- heatstroke (noun) – it is also known as sun stroke, is a severe heat illness, defined as hyperthermia with a body temperature greater than 40.6 °C (105.1 °F) because of environmental heat exposure with lack of thermoregulation (Courtesy: Wikipedia).
- blood viscosity (noun) – the thickness and stickiness of blood.
- thrombosis (noun) – blood clot.
- threshold (noun) – level, limit; starting point.
- precautionary (adjective) – preventive, safety, protective.
- vulnerable (adjective) – at risk, in danger, unprotected.
- draw up (phrasal verb) – formulate, plan, prepare.
- intervention (noun) – action taken to improve a (health) disorder.
- Green & blue urban spaces – they aim to recreate a naturally oriented water cycle while contributing to the amenity of the city by bringing water management and green infrastructure together.
- albedo effect (noun) – it is the fraction of solar energy (shortwave radiation) reflected from the Earth back into space.
- hold (verb) – maintain, keep, absorb.
- passive (adjective) – submissive, unassertive, agreeable.
- vernacular (adjective) – concerned with domestic and functional.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.