The U.S. Office of the Director of National Intelligence has released a declassified report purportedly supplying the minutiae of a conspiracy theory that…. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- declassified (adjective) – relating to the political/military (secret) information which is declared officially to the public.
- purportedly (adverb) – allegedly, professedly, supposedly.
- minutiae (noun) – details, finer points, particulars.
- dog (verb) – trouble, disturb, bother/pester.
- tip the scales (phrase) – (of a situation/happening) be the deciding factor.
- intelligence (noun) – information gathering, surveillance, observation (of military/political value).
- disseminate (verb) – spread, circulate, publicize.
- trove (noun) – a large store of important things.
- propaganda (noun) – information (circulated as a political strategy).
- undercut (verb) – undermine, weaken, damage.
- provenance (noun) – origin, source, place of origin.
- malicious (adjective) – hostile, harmful, destructive/malignant.
- sanctions (noun) – action taken, or an order given to force a country to obey international laws by limiting or stopping trade with that country, by not allowing economic aid for that country, etc (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- expel (verb) – banish, exile, deport,/expatriate.
- diplomat (noun) – ambassador, envoy, consul.
- boiling point (noun) – the point at which a condition becomes more serious (due to angry).
- saga (noun) – story, lengthy statement/explanation.
- consequential (adjective) – important, significant, serious.
- concerted (adjective) – coordinated, collaborative, cooperative.
- disinformation (noun) – lie, falsehood, fabrication/deception.
- sway (verb) – influence, affect, persuade.
- covert (adjective) – secret, furtive, hidden.
- concede (verb) – admit, acknowledge, accept; surrender/relinquish.
- root (verb) – embedded, fixed, firmly established.
- woes (noun) – trouble, difficulty, problem.
- Rust Belt (noun) – it is a region (north east, mid west) in the US referring to economic decline, population loss, and urban decay due to the shrinking of its once-powerful industrial sector (Courtesy: Wikipedia).
- flip side (noun) – other side, rear; downside/drawbacks.
- conservative (adjective) – traditional/conventional, orthodox; right wing.
- scarcely (adverb) – hardly, barely; rarely.
- corroboration (noun) – confirmation, attestation; support.
- unparalleled (adjective) – exceptional, unprecedented, unequaled.
- dismissive (adjective) – contemptuous, disdainful, scornful.
- impunity (noun) – immunity, indemnity, exemption/freedom from punishment.
- poise (verb) – balance, hold steady, hang/hover.
- prospect (noun) – chances, probability/possibility, likeliness.
- sweep (noun) – win (all contests with a great majority).
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.