The Supreme Court’s observations on the quality of a round of appointments made to the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission last year expose… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- spoils (phrase) – benefits, advantages; loot/booty.
- gross (adjective) – flagrant, blatant, glaring.
- institutional (adjective) – organized, procedural, systematized.
- integrity (noun) – honesty, uprightness, truthfulness.
- quash (verb) – cancel, overrule, repeal/abolish.
- deliberative (adjective) – thoughtful, studious, contemplative.
- foreground (verb) – highlight, bring/draw attention to.
- arbitrary (adjective) – random, casual, capricious.
- pack (verb) – fill (a board/committee with people who supports a decision).
- precede (verb) – come before, go in advance of, prepare the way for.
- relevance (noun) – the quality of being relevant/suitable.
- bar (verb) – prohibit, forbid, ban.
- dint (noun) – notch, mark, level.
- disquiet (verb) – worry, concern; upset.
- political patronage (noun) – favouritism, nepotism, partisanship.
- calibre ((noun) – quality, merit, character/eminence.
- commission (noun) – committee, board, council.
- arbitrariness (noun) – the quality of being “determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle (Courtesy: Wikipedia).
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.