The threat by petroleum retailers to stop accepting credit and debit card payments led to a late-night intervention on Sunday by the Centre,…… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- oil the wheels (phrase) – to make things happen smoothly.
- intervention (verb) – mediation, arbitration, peacemaking.
- put off (phrasal verb) – postpone, defer/delay, reschedule.
- red flag (noun) – warning, caution, admonition.
- waive (verb) – forgo, drop; renounce.
- bear (verb) – tolerate, accept, put up with.
- out of line (phrase) – behave inappropriately.
- facilitate (verb) – enable, assist, help.
- tank up – fill a vehicle’s tank with fuel.
- spat (noun) – disturbance, quarrel, scuffle/tussle.
- foot (verb) – pay, pay out, settle up.
- subvention (noun) – grant, investment, allocation.
- cash-lite (adjective) – relating to/denoting a policy which encourages the use of electronic means and cheques in financial transactions.
- nudge (verb) – prompt, encourage, stimulate.
- crisis of confidence (noun) – a condition in which public cease (stop) believing that something is right/good.
- nod (noun) – signal, indication, sign.
- rationalise (verb) – streamline, make more efficient, hone/simplify.
- constitute (verb) – establish, create, set up.
- moot (verb) – propose, suggest, organize.
- transparency (noun) – clarity, clearness, lucidity.
- liable to (adjective) – subject to (by law) .
- road map (noun) – plan, strategy ( to achieve a goal).
- suffice (verb) – be enough, be sufficient, be adequate.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.